7 Core Concepts: Patent Fundamentals
Watch the seminar
Web based patent seminar on the 7 core concepts, fundamental to your understanding of how to protect an idea with a patent. I will expand on the basics of protecting your idea with a patent. For more information on each topic, click on the links below. The 7 core concepts form the basis for deciding whether to file a patent application and other many other decisions in the patent process.
The 7 core concepts include:
Sample patent and purpose of a patent (1:16 min)
- Defining the invention (6:10 min);
- Researching the prior art (10:30 min);
- Other forms of intellectual property (15:30 min);
- Ownership (21:05 min);
- Overall patent process (26 min);
- Foreign patent protection (28:28 min) ; and
- America Invents Act: Switching from first to invent to first inventor to file (31:22 min).
Two bonus misc. issues:
- Provisional versus non-provisional patent application (36:50 min);
- Patent infringement and clearing a product (42:50).
By watching this seminar:
- You will understand how to broaden applicability of your idea.
- You will understand when to conduct a prior art search.
- You will understand the differences between the various forms of intellectual property.
- You will understand how to protect your idea in foreign markets.
- You will understand how ownership issues arise.
- You will understand the overall patent process.
- You will understand the differences between the first-to-invent and the first-inventor-to-file systems.
I invite you to contact me with your patent questions at (949) 433-0900 or [email protected]. Please feel free to forward this article to your friends. As an Orange County Patent Attorney, I serve Orange County, Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego and surrounding cities.