Where are the summary paragraphs located?
The first summary paragraph is the first paragraph of the Brief Summary. The second summary paragraph is the first paragraph of the Detailed Description. By now, you have written the Brief Summary and Detailed Description. The summary paragraphs should be inserted at the beginning of these sections.
Why are the summary paragraphs the most important paragraphs?
The summary paragraphs are the most important parts of a patent application because they set its tone. Will this be a boring read or one that is well organized and engaging? Should I continue to read this or should I skim it?
The Abstract is also a summary paragraph, but that will be discussed in a different article.
What is the key to writing good summary paragraphs?
The key to writing good summary paragraphs is to write them after you’ve written everything else. By writing all of the other parts of the patent application first, you have practiced how to concisely tell others about your invention. You can demonstrate your knowledge in the summary paragraph of the Detailed Description and Brief Summary.
If you are having difficulty writing the summary paragraphs, refer to the outline. Write about the primary benefit and primary structure/feature that achieves or enables this benefit.
What are some tips for writing good summary paragraphs?
Since reference numbers are traditionally not used in a Brief Summary, the summary paragraph in this section should be more generic.
In contrast, the summary paragraph in the Detailed Description can be more specific and utilize the drawings to highlight key parts of the invention. This paragraph can refer to the numbers. So, use the drawings and reference numbers to direct the examiner’s attention to the invention’s point of novelty.
Do not cut and paste the same paragraph into both the Brief Summary and Detailed Description. Write them differently.
Disclaimer: Use the information in this article at your own risk. It takes many years to learn how to draft a well-written patent application under the guidance of a senior patent attorney.
How to write a patent application?
- Step 1: How to write the abstract and title of the patent application?
- Step 2: Download a sample outline, numbering worksheet and patent template
- Step 3: How to develop the outline of your patent application?
- Step 4: How to show your invention through the drawings?
- Step 5: Which section of the patent application should be written first?
- Step 6: How to write a claim for your patent application?
- Step 7: How to write the detailed description section of your patent application?
- Step 8: How to write the brief summary section of the patent application?
- Step 9: How to write the background section of the patent application?
- Step 10: How to write the summary paragraphs of the Detailed Description and Brief Summary sections?
- Step 11: How to write the abstract and title of the patent application?
- Step 12: Reread your patent application over and over again