The Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (“MPEP”) is an expansive book published by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO” or “Patent Office”) which explains in detail numerous aspects of interfacing with the Patent Office. The MPEP has twenty seven (27) Chapters on various topics such as:
- Patentability (MPEP Chapter 2100)
- Examination of applications (MPEP Chapter 700)
- Maintenance fees (MPEP Chapter 2500)
- Patent Cooperation Treaty (“PCT”) (MPEP Chapter 1800)
- Design patents (MPEP Chapter 1500)
- Ownership and assignment (MPEP Chapter 300)
- Term of a patent (MPEP Chapter 2700)
The MPEP is an explanation of the Patent Office’s stance on the current case law on the Patent Statute. In interfacing with the Patent Office, the procedures set forth in the MPEP should be understood and followed. The MPEP is a necessary resource for interfacing with the Patent Office.
I invite you to contact me with your patent questions at (949) 433-0900 or [email protected]. Please feel free to forward this article to your friends. As an Irvine Patent Attorney, I serve Orange County, Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego and surrounding cities.