Thank you for considering me to help you through the patent process. It is complex and very daunting. I’m here to help.
By going through the initial consultation, you will receive an explanation of how the patent laws apply to your situation and clarity about your next steps.
During the initial consultation, we discuss your matter in depth. You can also ask questions you may have regarding your patent matter. Most consultations last about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
We cover patent fundamentals which help you to think through the patent issues and understand the next steps that we will develop during the consultation. The patent fundamentals are extensively covered in my book Navigating the Patent System (Available at Amazon). The patent fundamentals include:
- Defining the invention
- Resolving ownership issues
- Conducting a novelty search
- Exploring different ways to protect your idea
- Bars to patentability and the impact of the first inventor file regime
- Preserving foreign patent protection
- Reviewing the overall patent process
At the end of the consultation, we cover any last remaining questions and develop the next steps plan.
My Approach to Client Counseling
My approach to client counseling is to:
- Provide you with a layperson’s explanation of the patent process;
- Provide you with clear next steps that you should take; and
- Show you the value that I provide to the process.
These goals are important to me because I believe that the information that I provide will empower you to make better decisions. When you understand the reasons that you need to take certain steps, then you are more likely to take those steps. In my experience, an informed client makes for a happier client and better decisions matched to your vision and values.
If you feel as if I did not accomplish these goals during our business relationship, please let me know.
Preparing for the consultation
- Decision makers: Preferably, all decision makers should be at the meeting either in person or via a teleconference.
- Documents: Print out all documents.
- Invention: Be prepared to show me your invention.
- Prior Art: Be prepared to show me how others (e.g., prior art documents) have been solving the problem that your invention solves.
- Bring any documents and things that you feel is necessary for my understanding of your situation and/or invention.
More info on Initial Consultation
Fill out the form to find out more info about the initial consultation.
We respect your privacy.